Wireless connection to the Buildbotics Controller

Look here to see if your question has already been answered.
Doug

Wireless connection to the Buildbotics Controller

Post by Doug » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Note: Starting with Version 0.3.20, the Buildbotics CNC Controller supports wireless video connections. Just go to the Admin-Network page, select "Client" in the Wifi pull-down menu, enter you network name (SSID), enter your network password, and click "Set". Then disconnect your ethernet cable and reboot the controller. Here's a link to a Youtube video that demonstrates Buildbotics CNC Controllers using Wifi connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PLPMlals98

Some users have asked how to make a wireless connection to the Buildbotics CNC Controller.

First, let me say that this is not yet supported by Buildbotics. It is our intent to add a section on the web interface for configuring a wireless USB adapter, but we don't have it just yet.

Having said that, I was able to configure it through the ssh interface and currently have it working. This is not for the inexperienced and comes with some risk. If you do it wrong, you could completely break your Controller and would need to write a new operating system image onto the MicroSD card on the Raspberry Pi inside the controller. This means you would have to get take the MicroSD card out of the slot on the Raspberry Pi and write a new image to the card from another computer (preferably a linux box). I would be able to send you the new image and talk you through the process if you get to that point. You would have to provide the MicroSD card writer. After the new image is written, you would have to re-install the MicroSD card.

If you insist on taking this risk, here is how I did it.
1. Connect the controller to a local area network using a hardwired Ethernet connection.
2. Open a terminal session on your local computer and connect to the controller using the ssh command:
ssh bbctrl.local
3. Follow the instructions for "Command Line Setup" at the following web address:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-wi ... pberry-pi/
4. Turn off the controller, unplug the hardwired connection, plug in the USB to wireless Ethernet adapter, and turn the controller back on.

I did this successfully using a netis WF2111 150Mbps Wireless N Adapter that I happened to have laying around.

This might confuse your network router a bit. If so, use the game pad to scroll to the network LCD screen to get the new IP address. If no IP address is present, then you have not successfully made the connection. If an IP address is present, put it into the address bar on the web browser to see if you can connect using the IP address.

Several things could be wrong:
1. You might have entered the wrong SSID
2. You might have entered the wrong Password
3. Your wireless USB network adapter might not be compatible.
4. Your wireless USB network adapter might draw too much power. If this is the case, then you might be able to connect through a power USB hub.
4. Your signal strength might be insufficient.

Even if you can't connect wirelessly, you should still be able to connect to the Controller via the hardwired network.

PuffinAgain

Re: Wireless connection to the Buildbotics Controller

Post by PuffinAgain » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:23 pm

So far I have had no luck with the wireless. I would put in the right network info, it reboots, and nothing. I tried a usb wifi....nothing. Ethernet works fine. I tried an ethernet connected internet repeater and that works so at least that would be a somewhat wireless option. But I also cannot log on to to the buildbotics from my laptop. The IP directions won't work. Any ideas?

Doug

Post by Doug » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:16 am

What version of software are you running? For best results, I recommend upgrading to the latest version of the Buildbotics Controller. As of this writing, that is 0.4.15.

The network encryption for the BB Controller must match the wireless network. The network must be configured for WPA encryption.

Also, you can set the BB Controller up as an access point. This means that the BB Controller will present its own network and you can home your computer to that network.

d8ad0rk

Post by d8ad0rk » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:48 pm

PuffinAgain wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:23 pm
So far I have had no luck with the wireless. I would put in the right network info, it reboots, and nothing. I tried a usb wifi....nothing. Ethernet works fine. I tried an ethernet connected internet repeater and that works so at least that would be a somewhat wireless option. But I also cannot log on to to the buildbotics from my laptop. The IP directions won't work. Any ideas?
The ssid is likely case sensitive. That bit me before on rpi based implementations.