Building the code from Github

Look here to see if your question has already been answered.
haiqu

Re: Building the code from Github

Post by haiqu » Tue May 31, 2022 8:15 am

Pleased to report that the firmware for this project builds just fine in the latest version of Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi 400, so it looks as if I have a hardware platform running almost-native Debian Linux after all. The only small issue I noticed is that Perl complains about locale setting, but then it just selects the default "C" locale.

In fact I'm logged in with it right now. This new toy will live in my bedroom upstairs, for those times when I just can't sleep, or get a random idea in the middle of the night and don't want to bother with waking up the 86-core monster.
The old guy in the shed.

haiqu

Post by haiqu » Tue May 31, 2022 8:29 am

As mentioned to Doug via email I'm also looking into the possibility of using the Banana Pi M4 board. It's very similar to the Pi 3B, a little cheaper if sourced correctly, and most importantly it's actually available right now. And since I only have one Pi 3B on hand, that's an important point. It also has 8GB of storage onboard, for free, which eliminates having to supply an SD Card.

I've ordered a used sample off ebay and will report on whether it's workable.
The old guy in the shed.

haiqu

Post by haiqu » Tue May 31, 2022 10:18 am

Just managed to get a complete firmware build in Raspberry OS. I'm attaching a file for anyone who would care to test it, since I don't yet have the hardware.

Very pleased tonight! I love my new Pi 400.
Attachments
bbctrl-1.0.3.tar.bz2
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 801 times
The old guy in the shed.

haiqu

Post by haiqu » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:20 pm

Well, I found someone to move that Chinese 1325 laser cutter from Sydney at a reasonable price, so this is going to be my test bed. It didn't come with the original PCI/DSP controller, which is fine. Already found a NOS tube for it at half price too, thus solving the reason it wasn't working in the first place.
InMyShed.png
The old guy in the shed.

ixd704

Post by ixd704 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:58 pm

I am wondering if you were ever able to test your build. I have been running into road blocks quite often with the shared components building on Debian 9.6 as I can't get scons to build squat. I thought of just building camotics on one of my Raspberry PIs, but that has not worked well so far as there is always something missing. Then I go hunting for package archives of source to build and install.

You said you are building on a newer version of linux, and got everything to work? I can compile, but getting it to run is another story once I upload it to the controller.

I dropped a link to my VMWare disk and a build that will run (using the shared components from the working build) on the Facebook group. But so far no luck in getting a buildbot that will actually run (always crashes with some useless erro about some environment variable that needs to be set, but when I search Google for what it might cantain, no joy. I have lots of machines to use with different flavours of Linux, but so far no joy with a full build.

Would you be willing to share your build environment or just send your .bash history so I can take a look. If I can get a working environment that will build and run, I will updte the documents, or at least send them to Doug to put in the READme files.