I second adding macro buttons, and one more idea

Post any suggestions that you have for new features and enhancements for the Buildbotics Controller here.
Bob Z

I second adding macro buttons, and one more idea

Post by Bob Z » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:27 pm

1 - There are a number of things I would like to be able to do with just pressing a touch screen button, keyboard function button ("F2", for instance) or even as part of MDI, although the buttons would be better. As one example, my parts are complex two-sided objects that must be placed on my table at an angle, and are zeroed in the middle of the project. To flip them, I must find zero on the table, then drill two alignment holes before putting the parts down for side 2. It would be nice to just be able to set the zero probe plate where it needs to be, and press a function key and have it handle all that. Yes, I can load a program from the local Flash Drive (and maybe that's where the macros could be kept), but for this and other "quickie" tasks, this would be a great addition.

2 - Direct access to the BB file system from the network. I use a lot of different programs and don't want to have to go out to my computer to load each one each time I need to change the loaded program. I have more (especially with the alignment and verification programs) than fit on a pull-down, plus that's awkward. As a result, I use a flash drive on the BB controller, and when I use the folder open button, they all show right up. This is great!! However, if I need to change something, I have to stop what I'm doing, remove the flash drive, take it to the office, reprogram it, and replace in the BB controller. If I could either a - Access that drive on my network; b - access it through FTP (which I can make look like a standard folder on Windows 10); c - Access it through DropBox or iCloud (I prefer DropBox), which works fine if I am using my iPad to control the BB. However, I prefer to use the BB on its own, and not risk my iPad in my shop.

Doing #2 (esp DropBox) would allow users to access all their files from any location and any operating system, so that changes can be made directly to the files on the BB flash drive. This also prevents confusions and duplication of files, as well as time.

Note that putting in DropBox should be pretty easy, and this would be my preferred solution. They have everything at their site, and it would install looking like a folder to the user of the BB Controller. Currently the Linus OS is locked down on the BB (for good reason), or I would have had it up and running in about ten minutes. With this option, when the Win10 Aspire user saves the .tab files, they would automatically go to a place recognized by the BB, and are then instantly usable. If more than one person is working on a project, they can get the info down to the floor from the designer's office without any downtime. They can also access the file from Apple and Android devices for in-the-shop editing if required.

Thanks for listening!

Doug

Re: I second adding macro buttons, and one more idea

Post by Doug » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks for your excellent suggestions. We will consider these improvements in a future upgrade.