Buttons to run files or macros

Post any suggestions that you have for new features and enhancements for the Buildbotics Controller here.
rjs

Buttons to run files or macros

Post by rjs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:45 pm

I was hoping to have a way of operating the probe during tool changes in the middle of a G-Code program - one with multiple tool changes with out having to use the MDI. I was originally thinking a button to operate the probe (run a few lines of G-Code) but perhaps a better idea would be to have a button or buttons that would run a specified file or a way to assign a button to a macro. It would simplify using the probe and perhaps other tasks.

Thanks!

Randy

Doug

Re: Buttons to run files or macros

Post by Doug » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks for your suggestion.

Have you looked at the 'tool-change' field on the Settings page? You can enter a g-code script in that field that will be executed every time a tool change is encountered. I have my machine set up to prompt me to attach the probe, then it seeks toward the probe until it is detected. Then it sets the z-axis coordinates accordingly. Here is the exact code that I use:

(Runs on M6, tool change)
M70
G21
S0
M0 M6 (MSG, Change tool and attach probe)
F100
(probe to minimum z soft limit, which is -54)
G53 G38.2 Z-54
G92 Z19.05
G0 Z25
M0 (MSG, Remove probe)
M72

Note that the M70 and M72 push and pop the internal state so the only thing that is changed is the z-axis positional offset after the program has run.

rjs

Post by rjs » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:51 am

I thought about that and for some of the work I do this will work. However, I do not need to set the Z-Axis, for example, when creating PC boards the bits are pre calibrated and do not need re-zeroing the Z axis. In this case I would have to take the code out of the tool change or is there a way to exit without stopping the run? The only options I see are continue or stop and stop aborts the run.

This is not a huge deal but having a few macros or G-Codes that we could write macros for would be great.

Thanks!

Randy

Doug

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 pm

I see your point and Joe and I will discuss this at our upcoming meeting.

In the mean time, you might consider creating a special configuration for making PCB's. For example, after you get the machine configured properly for PCB's (e.g. probing is removed from the tool change procedure, and probably a few other things), just go to the "General' page and click "Backup". This will prompt you to name the file and save it. If you are like me, you will end up with several configuration files and just load the one you want for the type of operation that you are doing. I currently have configuration files for milling with a Huanyang spindle, milling with a PWM spindle, and laser engraving.

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:54 pm

I agree with this and am going to add my own post on the subject!